Basic 3d Print Finishing & Weathering

I love The Incredibles movies! I think they are really cool and all of the super hero costumes look legit. So naturally I needed to make some prop from this movie. I recently saw The Broken Nerd make this helmet so I decided I wanted to give it a shot and practice my weathering skills. Spoiler alert, they aren’t the best. This was a lot of fun to make and I love it! I don’t Have a 3d printer yet so I had my friend Calvin print them for me


TOOLS & MATERIALS

  1. 3d Printer (I have the Geeetech A10m)
  2. Epoxy
  3. Filler, Bondo or something similar
  4. Thin Plexiglass
  5. Metallic Blue Spray Paint
  6. Red Spray Paint
  7. Lens Tint
  8. Silver Leaf Rub-n-buff
  9. Clear Coat

Step 1:

At the time of this project I didn’t have my own 3d printer yet. So I had a friend print me this helmet file of Gazerbeam. He split into a couple parts and then glues it together with coffee sticks. Once the glue had dried he filled the layer lines and seam in with wood filler and covered it with epoxy to add strength.


Step 2:

Once the Helmet was covered in epoxy it was time to add some paint to it. I got some blue metallic spray pain that matched the color in the movie pretty well and covered the whole helmet in a few coats. Once that was dried I used so drill bits to add some scuffs and divots into the side to make it look like the helmet has seen a few battles.


Step 3:

I masked off the blue part of the helmet with some painters tape so that I could add more color to the other parts of the helmet. The rim was painted a metallic silver.

I cut a small piece of lexan for the helmet visor and painted it with a lens tint paint that is normally used for cars. I then used hot glue to hold it in place.


Step 4:

This was the best part of this build. It is very easy to over do it on the weathering so I tried to do the whole “less is more thing” I used a mix of black paint and water to darken the creases where dirt would get in and stick on a real hlemt. I then added some other colors to make it look like paint from other helmets had rubbed off on it.


Step 5:

I am very new to rub n buff but it is truly awesome stuff! It is a wax paint and only a little bit needs to be used. I put some on my finger and added it to the logo at the front of the helmet so that it was crisp and clean.


Step 6:

I added some gloss clear coat to the helmet to give it some protection.


I love how this helmet came out! It was a lot of fun to do and I learned a lot. The stl file was purchased from The Broken Nerd. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out.